IRS Audit Appeal – Former Appeals Agent – Miami, Ft.Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca, Palm Beaches

IRS Audit Appeal – Former Appeals Agent – Miami, Ft.Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca, Palm Beaches

Posted on by Michael Sullivan Fresh Start Tax Expert

If you have just gone through a IRS audit and wish to appeal the results of your IRS audit contact us today so we can review the results of your case and go over tax strategies and opinions on how to be successful on the next level.

We are South Florida tax experts for the IRS on appeal. We are comprised of tax attorneys, certified public accountants, and former IRS agents and managers with over 60 years of working directly in the local, district, and regional tax offices of the Internal Revenue Service right here in South Florida.

Also on staff is a former IRS appeals agent of over 25 years. We are one of the most experienced tax firms in South Florida dealing with the IRS audit appeal system.


How to File a IRS Audit Appeal


Most differences can be settled within this system without going to court.

Reasons for disagreeing must come within the scope of tax laws, however.

A IRS Audit Appeal of a case cannot be based only on moral, religious, political, constitutional, conscientious, or similar grounds.

A case may be taken directly to tax court if the taxpayer does not want to appeal within the IRS. is best in each situation to go to the IRS audit appeal to understand the strategies in the reasoning of the Internal Revenue Service.

We never recommend any taxpayer go directly to tax court but the IRS audit appeal is the most logical and cost-effective  place to try to settle your differences.

Appeal Within the  Internal Revenue Service


The tax decision reached by the examiner may be appealed to a local appeals office, which is separate and independent of the IRS Office that conducted the examination.

An appeals office is the only level of appeal within the IRS.

IRS Conferences with appeals office personnel may be conducted in person, through correspondence, or by telephone with the taxpayer or its authorized representative.

Instructions for requesting a conference with an appeals officer are provided in the letter of proposed tax adjustment.

In FSLG, the Letter 950 is generally used to propose adjustments to employment taxes.  It states that to request a conference with an appeals officer, the taxpayer will need to file either a small case request or a formal written protest with the contact person named in the letter.

Whether you file a small case request or a formal written protest depends on several factors.

If a conference is requested the examiner will send the conference request letter to the appeals office to arrange for a conference at a convenient time and place.  The taxpayer or its qualified representative should be prepared to discuss all disputed issues at the conference.  Most differences are settled at this level.

Only attorneys, certified public accountants or enrolled agents are allowed to represent a taxpayer before Appeals.


Making a Small Case Request for a IRS Audit Appeal –  $25,000 or less. 


A small case request is appropriate if the total amount of tax, penalties, and interest for each tax period involved is $25,000 or less.

If more than one tax period is involved and any tax period exceeds the $25,000 threshold, a formal written protest for all periods involved must be filed.

The total amount includes the proposed increase or decrease in tax and penalties or claimed refund.

To make a small case request, the instructions in the letter of proposed tax adjustment provide that the taxpayer should send a brief written statement requesting an appeals conference and indicate the changes with which it does not agree with and the reasons it does not agree with them.

Be sure to send the protest within the time limit specified in the letter you received, which is generally 30 days. if the IRS does not receive your IRS audit appeal within the 30 days you lose your right to appeal with the Internal Revenue Service. It is very important you keep  mailed documents such as certified mail to prove your IRS audit appeal was sent out in a timely basis.

IRS Audit Appeal – Filing a Formal Protest

When a formal protest is required, it should be sent within the time limit specified in the letter.

The following should be provided in the protest:

1. Taxpayer’s name and address, and a daytime telephone number.
2. A statement that taxpayer wants to appeal the IRS findings to the Appeals Office.
3. A copy of the letter proposed tax adjustment.
4. The tax periods or years involved.
5. A list of the changes that the taxpayer does not agree with, and reason for disagreement.
6. The facts supporting the taxpayer’s position on any issue that it does not agree with.
7. The law or authority, if any, on which the taxpayer is relying.
8.The taxpayer must sign the written protest, stating that it is true, under the penalties of perjury as follows:
“Under the penalties of perjury, I declare that I examined the facts stated in this protest, including any accompanying documents, and, to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and complete.”

If the taxpayer’s representative prepares and signs the protest for the taxpayer, he or she must substitute a declaration stating:

That he or she submitted the protest and accompanying documents and;
Whether he or she knows personally that the facts stated in the protest and accompanying documents are true and correct.


The IRS may settle your IRS audit appeal dispute by using a method called the hazards of litigation


Example – You may be asking yourself just what are the hazards of litigation.

The Appeals Officer first reviews and evaluates the facts in the case, and the applicable statutes and legal precedents.

After considering all of these aspects, he or she will evaluate the “hazards” the government (IRS) will face in pursuing the case into the appropriate court.   If the Appeals Officer believes that the IRS may have a 30% chance of losing the case in trial, then she will entertain a settlement proposal whereby the taxpayer concedes 70% of the case.

Call us today for a free initial tax consultation and we will review your IRS audit appeal.


IRS Audit Appeal – Former Appeals Agent – Miami, Ft.Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca, Palm Beaches

About Michael Sullivan

Michael Sullivan is Former Award Winning IRS Agent and Teaching Instructor with the Internal Revenue Service. Mr. Sullivan worked in the local, district and regional offices of the IRS. Mr. Sullivan has been in private practice since 1982 and is a tax expert in the field of Federal and State Tax Resolution. Connect with Michael Sullivan on Google+

View all posts by Michael Sullivan →
This entry was posted in IRS Tax Audit. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Contact Us

    We are here to help!

    • Should be Empty:

Call We Can Solve Your Tax Problem Immediately!

Member Of NSA, FICPA, NAEA, Better Business Bureau Accredited Business

: Home: The Firm: Tax Solutions: FAQs: Testimonials: Media Center: Press Releases: IRS Forms: Blog: Contact:
: Site Map: Privacy Policy:

: Immediate Representation: Received IRS Letter: Remove IRS Wage Garnishment: Remove IRS Bank Levy: Installment Agreements:
: Release Tax Liens: Unfiled Tax Returns: Negotiate Offer in Compromise: Innocent Spouse: Settle Payroll Liability / 941:
: Apply for Hardship Status: Large Dollar Cases: 165 Theft Loss Tax Deduction: Owe 401k IRS Taxes: Christian Tax Professionals:
: IRS Tax Audit: Florida Sales Tax Problems: Florida Tax Attorney: Income Tax Return Preparation:


Disclaimer: No Rendering of Advice - The information contained within this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to
substitute for obtaining accounting, tax, or financial advice from a professional accountant. Presentation of the information via the Internet is not intended
to create, and receipt does not constitute, an accountant-client relationship. Internet subscribers, users and online readers are advised not to act upon this
information without seeking the service of a professional accountant. Any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this website is not intended to be used for
the purpose of avoiding penalties under U.S. federal tax law.

Accuracy of Information - While we use reasonable efforts to furnish accurate and up-to-date information, we do not warrant that any information
contained in or made available through this website is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. We assume no liability or responsibility for any
errors or omissions in the content of this website or such other materials or communications. Call Fresh Start Tax at 954-492-0088.

Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitations of Liability - This website is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. Use of this website is at your own risk.
We and our suppliers disclaim all warranties. Neither we nor our suppliers shall be liable for any damages of any kind with the use of this website.

Links to Third Party Websites - For your convenience, this website may contain hyperlinks to websites and servers maintained by third parties. We do not
control, evaluate, endorse or guarantee content found in those sites. We do not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, products, services and
content of these sites or the parties that operate them. Your use of such sites is entirely at your own risk.

Frank Andreacchi, Ed Vecchio and Scott Szaro are no longer with the company and are pictured on our site.

*Mr. Sullivan has been in private practice since 1982 in South Florida which gave roots to Fresh Start Tax LLC.
The firm began as Sullivan & Powell PA and through the years transitioned to its now current form.

© 2018 Fresh Start Tax : All Rights Reserved :